At the local farmers market, the farmer had a variety of fresh carrots straight from her farm and I was surely going to give it a try and use this amazing produce to cook a simple and very flavourful dish of carrot stir-fried with spices like curryy leaves, mustard seeds, and chilies. A delicious vegetable dish that is easy to prepare and takes less than 15 minutes.
- 7 regular sized carrots, peeled and diced. (any shape you prefer)
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp whole mustard seeds
- 7 curry leaves
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 2 green chilies (sploit in the middle and chopped up with the seeds removed. Keep the seeds in if you like the heat)
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro. Finely chopped and can be used as a garnish later
- Heat the oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds, curry leaves, and chilies. Fry till the contents in the pan begin to pop.
- Now add the ginger, carrots and sea salt and cook for a couple of minute. Pour in the water. Lower the heat and cover the pot and let it cook till the carrots are Reduce to low heat, cover pot, and cook until carrots are soft. You do not want the carrot mushy so 5 minutes on a low heat should cook them till they are soft.
- Left the lid and add in the cilantro. Fold the cilantro into the beautiful orange carrots. The contrast of the orange and green from the curry leaves and cilantro make it visually appealing as well. Hope this simple and quick recipe warms your soul and tickles your chi.