Convenient foods were created with an increase in our hectic and demanding lifestyles and the need for quick and easy ways to bring food that last longer with or without refrigeration. In the name of 'convenience' - manufacturers mostly ignored the health repercussions and damaging effects on the gut microbiota, with the need for higher gains and profits. In addition, when we purchase foods from grocery stores - we are exposed to several toxins that lurk in packaged foods, such as;
- Refined vegetable and seed oils (sunflower, soybean, corn and cottonseed)
- Trans Fats/Trans Fatty Acids are a form of unsaturated fat and ranked as one of the least healthy fats - usually found in meat and dairy.
- Antibiotics/Hormones and Pesticides from animal products that have travelled miles and miles away.
- MSG (Monosodium Glutamate) a processed flavour enhancer added to soups, processed meats and canned vegetables. May cause headaches and nausea when you overindulge.
- BPA's (Bisphenol A) An industrial chemical used to make plastics for packaged foods, canned items and bottled water.
- Sodium Nitrate/Nitrate found in processed meats and deli foods.
- Synthetic Food Coloring and Dyes. Made in a lab with chemicals derived from petroleum and usually found in processed bread, microwavable popcorn, bottled salad dressing and yogurt.
Sadly, this modern day addiction to the convenient food system has been increasing our toxic load and taking us further away from the simple ways of nurturing ourselves utilizing farm fresh vegetables and local produce when cooking. Food preparation that our ancestors used as a staple in their lifestyle helped them maintain a stronger connected with their soil, the earth and also with their communities.